Here is how to setup and get the most out of your integration with Canvas and Accredible.
Benefits of the Canvas > Accredible Integration
It's easy to integrate Accredible with your Canvas LMS instance. You can find our eduappcenter app page here: https://www.eduappcenter.com/apps/652
Our integration with Canvas LMS will:
- Let you add an item to any module where Canvas Students can receive and view their badge or certificate.
- Teachers within a course may click the item within a module to update the badge or certificate settings.
- Add a Placement for students within their profile so that they can click on the link and automatically be authorized to view and update their certificates and badges.
- Automatically sync your Canvas course information when the item has been added with Accredible.
- Automatically create certificates or badges when a student clicks the item within a module.
Setting up the Canvas > Accredible Integration
During installation you'll be switching between your Canvas LMS instance and the Accredible Integrations page.
The App Installation
- In Canvas, under the menu on the left side bar, the site administrator can select 'Admin' and then the account they would like to use.
- Click 'Settings' in the left menu and then select the 'Apps' tab at the top.
- When in the app center, the site administrator can search for the Accredible external application in the search bar on the right side.
- Clicking on the application selects it and gives the option to add the tool to the Canvas apps center. Click '+ Add App'.
- Visit https://dashboard.accredible.com/issuer/dashboard/settings/api_integrations to find your consumer key and shared secret from Accredible. Input these into the form. Name the app ‘Accredible’.
- Go to https://dashboard.accredible.com/issuer/dashboard/settings/api_integrations and enter your Canvas Instance URL into the URL field at the bottom of the form.
Adding Each Credential
- Go to a course within Canvas where you'd like to add the certificate or badge item.
- Click '+' in modules to add a new item to the module and select 'External Tool' from the drop down menu. Click 'Accredible' and press 'Add Item'.
- Click the new item in the course and you'll see a menu. Select Manage Certificate Design or Manage Badge Design to choose which design you'd like to use.
- Make sure you name the Group in Accredible to give your badge or certificate a name.
You can define completion criteria for a certificate or badge by changing your course module settings in Canvas so that the Accredible item you add is only accessible to students who complete the required steps.
- Make sure you add teachers and other Canvas admins via their email address to the Accredible account you connect. Otherwise we won’t be able to give teachers access to edit and update credentials.
- You’ll need to create or select a certificate or badge design before being able to send a credential for a course.
- Credentials will be unapproved when the data is first transferred to Accredible because we don't have a certificate design or badge design for the groups that Canvas created. Once you've assigned a design to a group new credentials will be automatically published.
The Canvas Student Experience
Has this article helped you? Let us know!
If you would like to tell us about any improvements you feel could be made to this page, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.