If you have a D2L Brightspace account, here is how to setup an integration with Accredible
What Does the Integration Do?
It's easy to setup Accredible in your D2L Brightspace instance. Click here to view our AppFinder listing.
Our integration will:
- Let you add a module or submodule to any course where Brightspace students can receive and view their badge or certificate.
- Teachers within a course may click the module to update the badge or certificate settings.
- Automatically sync your Brightspace course information when the item has been added with Accredible.
- Automatically create certificates or badges when a student clicks the module.
- Automatically authorize your Brightspace students to update and interact with their certificates and badges.
To watch our webinar on the integration click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dohFTzkQGsg
To setup the Brightspace integration you need to have:
- A Brightspace admin account.
- An Accredible account with access to API & Integrations.
Important Note: It's essential that the email address of your Brightspace account matches the email address of your Accredible account.
Setting Up the Integration
- Go to https://dashboard.accredible.com/issuer/dashboard/settings/api_integrations and click 'Expand' on the D2L Brightspace section.
- Enter the URL of your Brightspace instance under 'Brightspace Instance URL (your Brightspace environment URL)'.
- Click 'Save'.
- Login as a Brightspace admin.
- Click 'External Learning Tools (LTI)' in the top menu.
- Click 'Manage Tool Providers' from the secondary menu.
- Click the button below labelled 'New Tool Provider'.
- Into 'Launch point' enter: https://api.accredible.com/v1/lti/brightspace_launch
- Enter the 'Secret' found in your Accredible account (https://dashboard.accredible.com/issuer/dashboard/settings/api_integrations) under Brightspace.
- Click the checkbox labelled 'Use custom tool consumer information instead of default'.
- Enter the 'Key' found in your Accredible account (https://dashboard.accredible.com/issuer/dashboard/settings/api_integrations) under Brightspace.
- Provide a 'Name' for instructors such as 'Certificates & Badges' or 'Accredible'.
- Enter a 'Description' such as 'Accredible certificates and badges'.
- Enter 'firstname.lastname@example.org' into the 'Contact Email' field
- Under 'Security Settings' tick all the options except for 'Send system Org Defined ID to tool provider'.
- Choose who to make Accredible available to under 'Make tool provider available to'. Org units define where you want to give permission for the integration. Whether it’s to org units, departments or course offerings.
- Click 'Save and Close'.
Here's an example of a completed settings form in Brightspace:
Now that the tool is setup we need to generate a link we can use:
- On the secondary menu click 'Manage External Learning Tool Links'.
Click 'New Link'.
Choose a Title to show to students such as 'Certificate' or 'Badge'.
Into 'URL' enter: https://api.accredible.com/v1/lti/brightspace_launch
Under 'Key/Secret' select 'Tool consumer key/secret'.
Under 'Security Settings' select 'Use tool provider security settings'.
Choose who to make Accredible available to under 'Make tool provider available to'. Org units define where you want to give permission for the integration. Whether it’s to org units, departments or course offerings.
Click 'Save and Close'.
Adding To A Course
Now that the integration is setup we need to add it to a course so we can let students receive certificates and badges.
- Login as a Brightspace instructor.
- Go to a particular course in Brightspace.
- Go to the Content for the course.
- Click 'Add Existing Activities'.
- Select 'External Learning Tools'.
- Select the link that you named previously and this will add the badge or certificate to the course. You can now arrange it accordingly and restrict access like any other content item.
- Click the item and select a badge or certificate design for this item.
Repeat this for each badge or certificate you'd like to add.
Has this article helped you? Let us know!
If you would like to tell us about any improvements you feel could be made to this page, you can email us at email@example.com.