Here is our guide to getting your integration up and running.
Note: You will need to be on one of Thinkific's Grow paid plans to utilize the Accredible integration.
Setting Up the Integration
Enabling Accredible Certificates for a Thinkific Course
The Accredible API Key
To set up the integration, you will need your Accredible API Key. Here is how to find it:
- Select 'Integrations' from the menu at the top of your ACMS dashboard.
- Input 'Thinkific' into the 'Search for integrations' search bar.
- Click on 'View Details' on the Thinkific Item.
- Your API key will be visible on the right-hand side of the page.
Installing the Accredible App in Thinkific
Once you have your Accredible API Key, you are ready to install the app in Thinkific:
- Click 'install' on the Accredible App in the Thinkific Store.
- This will direct you to your Thinkific Apps page. You will need to locate Accredible and click 'Configure'.
- Paste your Accredible API key in the 'API key' field situated under 'Your Accredible Credentials'.
- Don't forget to save your changes using the 'save' button.
Creating a Credential Design
Now your Accredible and Thinkific accounts are connected, it is time to set up your credential! Our articles to help you with this is here:
How Do I Create a Badge Design?
Attributes act as placeholders for information on your credential designs, and when using the integration, information for the following attributes can be pulled from Thinkific:
This will be your Thinkific site name by default. However, you can change this in your Accredible branding settings.
This will use the 'Display Name' in the group settings within Accredible by default. To enable this attribute to dynamically pull course names from Thinkific, you will need to enable API for your group in the Group Settings.
This attribute is optional. However, you can add a Credential Expiry within Thinkific under 'Completion Certificates' in your Course Settings.
This will use the Student's email from Thinkific.
If you need to change any of the information associated with a credential, you can do so from within Accredible at any point: How Do I Edit a Recipient's Credential?
If you would like some additional information to appear on the credential, such as a phone number or country, you can utilize custom attributes. Here is how to do this:
- You will need to set up a custom sign up field in Thinkific for when your students register. This will provide students with an opportunity to provide the information you wish to include on the credential.
- Click on 'Designs' at the top of your Accredible Dashboard, then click on the 'Create Certificate Design' button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Click on the 'Attributes' tab in the lefthand sidebar menu.
- At the bottom of the attributes menu, click 'Manage Attributes.'
- Click on the 'Add Custom Attribute' button at the top right-hand corner of the page. Fill out the relevant fields in the pop-up window that appears and click 'Add Attribute.'
- Add your new custom attribute to your credential design!
- The Attribute Name in Accredible will need to match the custom sign-up field in Thinkific exactly.
- Ensure the custom sign-up fields in Thinkific do not have any invalid characters. Only supported characters include: English Characters, numbers, spaces, hyphens, and underscores.
- You will need to select "Text" as the Attribute Type for your custom attribute in Accredible.
Creating a Group
A group is a holder for all of the information regarding a specific achievement that you are awarding. Now you have created a credential design, it is time to apply it to a group. Here is an article that explains how to do this: How Do I Create a Group?
If you want your credential display name to automatically match the Thinkific course title, you can toggle on the 'Create Credentials in this Group using the Accredible API' option in the Group Settings. This will allow the group.course_name attribute in Accredible to be populated by your Thinkific course name.
By default, Accredible prevents duplicate credentials from being created in a Group where the recipient email is the same as an existing credential. However, this article explains how to change this for a group: Can I Allow Duplicate Credentials In A Group?
Enabling Accredible Credentials for a Thinkific Course
Now your group is set up, it's time to enable the credential for your course in Thinkific:
- In Thinkific, Navigate to 'Manage Learning Content' and click 'Courses'.
- Select the Course you wish to issue Accredible certificates for.
- Open the Course Settings and select 'Course progress & completion'.
- Enable 'Completion certificates'.
- Select Accredible. This will allow you to access a drop-down menu under 'Certificate'. The names in the list correspond with the groups within Accredible.
- Optional: Add a certificate expiration.
- Click 'Save' on the top right
If you wish the credentials for your course to have an expiry date, you have two options in Thinkific:
- Choose 'After period of ' and input a specific number of days. After this number, the certificate will expire.
- Choose 'On a certain date' in the dropdown menu and select the date you wish the credentials to expire on.
When a credential is expired, the credential remains available to view on credential.net; however, it will then be visually identified as expired to anyone viewing it. It can no longer be verifiable.
The credential data will also be available to view in your Accredible dashboard after the credential has expired.
As standard, email notifications are set to off for all Thinkfic integrated accounts. This means that the certificate will be created when a student completes your course, but the student does not get an email notification from the Accredible system.
If you would like to turn on email notifications from Accredible upon course completion, check out our article here on how to achieve this: Turn On Emails Notifications from Accredible
It is possible to send Course Completion Emails directly from Thinkific. Here is Thinkific's in-depth article on how to do this: Send a Course Completion Email
You can resend an email to all retroactive graduates who have not received the notification by clicking 'credentials' in the top menu, then selecting all and hitting the 'resend email' button.
Time to Issue Credentials!
You're all set up, now it's time to automatically issue credentials from your Thinkific instance via Accredible. Be sure to check out our next article for more information on how exactly your recipients receive their credentials: How are Credentials Issued Through the Thinkific Integration with Accredible?
Has this article helped you? Let us know!
If you would like to tell us about any improvements you feel could be made to this page, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.