Want to offer course completion certificates, micro-credentials, open badges, and blockchain credentials for your Canvas course? This article explains how.
Accredible Shared Secret and Consumer Key
Note: You will need to be an Administrator with the Accredible account to set up the Canvas integration properly.
You will need your Accredible Shared Secret and Consumer Key to set up the integration. Here is how to find them:
- Select Integrations from the menu at the top of your ACMS dashboard.
- Input "Canvas" into the Search for integrations search bar.
- Click on View Details on the Canvas Item.
- Your Consumer Key and Shared Secret will be visible on the right-hand side of the page.
Important Note: The steps below will guide you to install the Accredible app on a Course level.
If you need to show the Grades from Canvas, note that you must install the Accredible app on an Admin level.
- Select Courses from the left-hand side menu in Canvas, and then select the relevant course from the options.
- Click Settings from the bottom of the list on the left-hand side.
- Select the Apps tab from the top of the page to enter the App Center.
- Select the appropriate Accredible app for your account, then click + Add App. The server your account is on is not related to your geographical location. If you are unsure which server your account is on, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
a) Accredible Certificates & Badges should be used by issuers on the US Server.
b) Accredible Certificates & Badges (EU) should be used by issuers on the EU Server.
- Input the Consumer Key and Shared Secret into the form, name the app "Accredible", then click Add App.
- Enter your Canvas Instance URL into the Your Canvas URL field in Accredible. This is where you obtain your Consumer Key and Shared Secret and press Save.
PLEASE NOTE: You can only connect one Canvas Instance to your Accredible Department at a time.
Configure Developer Key and OAuth Key
NOTE: If you need to show the Grades from Canvas, you must install the Accredible app on an Admin level first.
If you do not need the Grade from Canvas, you can skip this section.
Redirect URL: https://dashboard.accredible.com/integrations/canvas/lti/admin-settings/oauth-redirect
Note: If you would like to Enforce Scopes, the only one you need to select is Enrollments -> url:GET|/api/v1/users/:user_id/enrollments
6. Once copied, select Accredible Settings from the left-hand menu.
7. Add the copied Client ID and the Client Secret.
You can now go back to the module and select the Custom Grade Attribute!
Important Note: You can only select an Accredible custom attribute from the final grade drop-down menu. If you don't create any custom Grade attributes in Accredible, the final grade drop-down menu won't show any attributes to select.
To learn how to create a custom attribute, visit our article Manage Attributes.
Time to Issue Credentials!
You've installed the plugin. Now it's time to issue credentials from your Canvas instance via Accredible automatically. Be sure to check out our next article for more information on how exactly your recipients receive their credentials: How Credentials are Issued through the Canvas Integration with Accredible
Has this article helped you? Let us know!
If you would like to tell us about any improvements you feel could be made to this page, you can email us at email@example.com.