An email can bounce for a number of reasons.
Important Note: if you have custom SMTP settings configured for you Accredible account, email bounces will not be reported on your Accredible Dashboard. For more information on custom SMTP configurations, check out our article here: Can I Send Accredible Emails Through Our Email System?
Identifying a Bounce
- At the top of the Accredible Dashboard click 'Credentials'.
- Located any credentials that have the yellow envelope icon next to them, or filter all credentials using the 'Bounced' status in the lefthand sidebar filter.
Identifying the Cause
If you hover over the bounced icon with your cursor, you will get more information about its cause.
"Email does not exist"
If your bounced email message says that "email does not exist", the email address that was used to send the credential does not exist.
- Check your other records to see if the email was entered incorrectly on Accredible. If you can't find an alternate email for this recipient, make sure that they've received emails from you at this email address in the past - it could be that they misspelled their email incorrectly from the start!
- When you have the correct email address, update the email address on the credential by editing the credential information: How Do I Edit a Recipient's Credential?
- Select the credential and click the 'Resend Email' button at the top of the Credential Overview.
If your bounced email message says "Receipt error", the email address that was used to send exists (was spelled correctly), but some other error prevented the email from reaching its intended recipient. It's possible their mail server was overloaded and the email couldn't get through.
The best thing to do in this instance would be to 'Resend' the email to this recipient in the chance that their mail server has now been corrected and can now receive emails.
In the case of recipients that have had large numbers of credentials issued to them in the past, they may accidentally unsubscribe themselves from emails sent from our system. In which case you will see this warning message:
You will need to contact the recipient directly to ask them about the reason they have unsubscribed from Accredible emails and explain that by unsubscribing they are unable to receive credentials from you. If they decide that they want to resubscribe to emails from Accredible they can request this from our Customer Support team at email@example.com.
What if I Can't Fix a Bounced Email?
There may just be an issue with that recipient's email. It is always a good idea to get in touch with the recipient via another method to see if the issue can be identified and resolved in an alternative way to the ones listed above.
Has this article helped you? Let us know!
If you would like to tell us about any improvements you feel could be made to this page, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.