Creating a beautiful certificate design is the first step to creating digital certificates.
This is a long article, so if you want to shortcut all the reading why not take a look at the beginning of our 'Getting Started' video!
Edit an Existing Design
Click on 'Designs' at the top of your Accredible Dashboard. You will then see in the Designs overview all of your certificates designs that you currently have.
Hover your mouse over the design you would like to edit and two icons will appear; a pencil and a garbage can. Click on the pencil icon to edit this design.
Open the Certificate Designer
- Click on 'Designs' at the top of your Accredible Dashboard
- If your account is new this section will appear empty, but that will soon change as you go about creating beautiful designs for your certificates!
- Click on the 'Create Certificate Design' button at the top right-hand corner of the page. This will open the Certificate Designer.
'My Designs' - Copy an Existing Certificate Design
If you have created or used any designs already you can use these as a template for a new design. By clicking on any of the templates in the 'My Designs' tab you are copying that original and then editing the copy. This is a great way of being able to quickly create lots of similar-looking designs with minor variations.
Using a Template
There are over 40 templates to choose from and they are a great way to get started without having to devote too much time and effort to create a design from scratch.
- In the left-hand sidebar menu click on the 'Templates' tab. You will then see all of the templates that Accredible has pre-made for you, arranged into size and orientation.
- Select a template of your choosing under the orientation you want to use.
Uploading Your Own Design
If you already have a certificate background image which has beautifully designed and branded, you absolutely can. Make sure that the image you want to upload is the correct size and orientation for the certificate design you are using, are article to help you with this is here: Recommended Certificate Background Image Sizes.
Important Note: Don't be tempted to upload a massive background image because you think the added number of pixels will make your certificate look better. The truth is there won't be much of a difference in image quality, your certificates will always take longer to load on to any webpage and you run the risk of the PDF render crashing and failing if your recipient wants to download their certificate. Trust us on this one, it's not worth it.
To upload the image go to the 'Document' tab and using the 'Upload New Image' button, select the image you wish to use.
If you are unfamiliar with attributes, click here to find out more about what they do.
Templates come with the main attributes that you will need already placed on the design, namely the recipient name, the course name, the credential ID, and the issue date.
If you wish to add another attribute onto your design, such as the Expiry Date attribute:
- Click on the 'Attributes' tab on the left-hand sidebar menu.
- In the list of attributes click on 'Expiry Date' and it will be dropped into the top left-hand corner of your design.
- Drag and drop the attribute to anywhere you like on the design.
The Attribute List will tell you when an attribute is already in use on your design, so you don't accidentally the same one twice!
Formatting the Text
You can easily format the text within the design so that it matches your brand colors or font. To do this, select a text element, when you do so you will see that new options appear in the toolbar above. Using these you can do things like change the color, change the font, change the size, center the text and other useful formatting tools.
Remember, you can also edit the text appearance of the attributes so that when the populate with the relevant information it will appear in the size and style that you want.
Important Note: Some of your recipients or courses may have very long names and risk running outside of their text box and overlapping other information on your certificate. Make sure to enable 'Text Scaling' on these attributes. That way no matter how long the name is it will be re-sized to fit inside the textbox boundaries.
1. Select the textbox you wish to text scale
2. Click the 'Size' button at the top of the designer
3. In the tool that appears, under Auto-Scaling check the box that says 'Enable text scaling'
Add Your Logo
You can add your logo to the template design, or any other custom image that you wish.
- Click the 'Elements' tab in the left-hand sidebar menu.
- Use the 'Upload New Image' button to select the desired logo from your computer. It will then appear on the design. (You can also drag and drop the desired image on to the design when the 'Elements' tab is open.)
- Drag to resize and place your logo wherever you like on your design.
Add a Signature
Adding a signature of a company stakeholder to the certificate gives gravitas and validity to the certificate.
If you don't already have a digital version of the certificate:
- Sign the signature on white paper using a dark-colored pen
- Scan or photograph the signature and save the file to your computer.
- Crop the image of the signature to remove as much of the excess space around the signature as possible.
- Add the signature image into the certificate design just like you did with the logo.
Don’t forget to delete John Doe’s signature!
Add Line Shapes
Drop simple line shapes into your design which can then recolour, resize and adjust the style of.
✨NEW✨Add a QR Code to Your Design!
If your recipients print out their certificate it then becomes harder to verify. Well not anymore! If you add a QR to your design any stakeholder wanting to check the validity of the hardcopy certificate can scan the QR and be taken straight to the digital version.
- Click on the QR tab in the left-hand sidebar menu.
- Click the Add QR Code button to drop in a generic QR Code image.
- Drag and drop the QR Code to where ever you would like it to sit on your design, you can even resize and change the color to better match your branding.
When the certificates are published the generic QR Code image will be replaced with a unique QR Code for each certificate.
Resize or Reorientate your Design
You may decide half-way through that you would prefer your design to be a different orientation, or you realized that it should be in US-Letter size, not A4. No problem.
Go to the 'Document' tab in the left-hand sidebar menu and select which size or orientation you would prefer your design to be. If you have used one of Accredible's premade templates the design will resize automatically. However, if you have used your own background image you will need to upload a new version of your background image with the new dimensions.
If you want your certificates to look particularly spectacular when printed, make sure to check the 'Enable HQ PDF for printing' box in the 'Document' tab. A background image of 3418 x 2668 pixels is required for HQ PDF production.
Name & Save Your Design
Add a name for your certificate design in the box at the top of the page then, when you’re happy with how it looks, hit 'Save and Close'.
Now that your certificate design is ready you can move on to create a group. Check out our article here to find out how: How Do I Create a Group?
If you would like to design a badge to issue alongside your certificate, you can check out our article here: How Do I Create a Badge Design?
Has this article helped you? Let us know!
If you would like to tell us about any improvements you feel could be made to this page, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.