If you are setting up SMTP overrides to a Gmail inbox, be sure to check the following information to ensure that everything is set up on your target inbox.
Configuring Custom SMTP Settings for Gmail
- In your Google/Gmail account, go to Settings
- Select the 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP' settings
- Under the 'IMAP access' section, toggle on the option to 'Enable IMAP'.
- In your Accredible instance, click on 'Emails' at the top of your Accredible dashboard
- In the left-hand sidebar menu, click on 'SMTP Overrides'
- Ensure that the email address and authentication username match your Google App's email address. The password would be your Google/Gmail password if you do not have multi-factor authentication turned on.
- The fields in this section will need to be filled out as followed:
Outgoing Server - smtp.gmail.com
Port - 587
Encryption - TLS
Authentication - Base64 encoded
- Save your changes. We then recommend sending yourself a test email to confirm that we're sending your emails from your custom email account. You can do this by using the 'Send Test Email' functioning the SMTP Overrides page in Accredible
If You Have Multi-Factor Authentication Enabled for Your Google Account
If Multi-Factor authentication is enabled for your Gmail account or Google App, you will need to follow these additional points in order to complete the SMTP setup for your Accredible account.
- Navigate to your Google Account Settings Page
- Click on 'Security' in the left-hand side-bar menu
- In your security settings, locate the section named 'Signing in to Google'
- Click on the setting 'App passwords' to generate a new password
- Sign in using the email address that you are using for your target inbox
- On the 'App passwords' page, use the drop-down menu's to select 'Mail' as the App, and 'Other (Custom name)' as the device
- Name your custom device 'Accredible', then click the 'Generate' button
- A new app password will be generated for you. Copy this password
- Back in your Accredible SMTP settings, paste your new password into your 'Authentication - Password' field, replacing the password for your Gmail inbox
- Save your new settings and use the 'Send Test Email' function to confirm that your new SMTP settings are working.
For more information on setting an App password for accounts with multi-factor authentication, here is Google's Support article on this topic: Sign in with App Passwords.
For more information on enabling SMTP overrides for your Gmail account, here is Google's Support article on this topic: Check Gmail Through Other Platforms
Has this article helped you? Let us know!
If you would like to tell us about any improvements you feel could be made to this page, you can email us at email@example.com.